Skip to content

Purps beat Everton in Liverpool senior cup.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp

City of Liverpool progressed in the Liverpool Senior Cup with a morale boosting 2-0 victory over a young Everton side at the Berry Street Garage Stadium.

Craig Robinson gave a start to second choice goalkeeper Andy Marshall, as new keeper Owen Wheeler was cup-tied, having ironically played for Widnes in the Purps 5-1 win in the previous round.

Indeed Marshall had to be on his toes during a cagey opening as the visitors threatened on the counter attack.

The young custodian was off his line quickly on two or three occasions to confidently claim the ball under pressure, giving the Purps a solid foundation at the back.

At the other end, Everton keeper Harry Tyrer produced a brilliant stop low down to his right after a dangerous Luke Denson free kick came through a crowd and arrowed towards the bottom corner.

The young keeper was unsighted by a congested penalty box which made the save all the more impressive. 

The home side began to assert their dominance as the first half progressed, with wingers Lewis Gilboy and Kole Hall proving to be a constant threat with driving runs at the Everton full backs.

A surging run down the right from Gilboy saw the Accrington Stanley loanee pick out Hall with an inch perfect cross, however he was crowded out by last ditch defending as he attempted to pull the trigger.

Hall then came even closer to opening the scoring with a fierce volley that cannoned back off the crossbar with Tyrer well beaten.

The rebound fell to Peterson who had next to no time to react and could only divert an improvised header into the grateful arms of Tyrer. 

The Purps didn’t have to wait long to open the scoring however, as a Franny Foy free kick was only half cleared, falling to Kevin McEllin who hammered a first time shot from 25 yards into the corner.

It was a rare goal for the Purps midfield linchpin who hadn’t found the net since March 2018, but sent the home side in ahead at the break.

After the interval it was much of the same for the Purps, with Jamie McDonald drawing another fine save from Tyrer within minutes of the restart.

The Purps forward fired in a long range snapshot which arrowed towards the bottom corner, however Tyrer got down low to turn it behind for a corner.

Tom Peterson then had a golden chance to double the home side’s advantage after he benefited from a majestic through ball from man of the moment McEllin.

The midfielder’s pass dissected the Everton defence and released the Purps club record goalscorer, however the ball bobbled horrifically as he entered the area and his left footed effort bounced a yard or so wide of the post.

Everton rallied late on with plenty of possession but nothing to show for it other than a close range effort which smacked the woodwork. 

In injury time the Purps made sure of the points as Peterson’s deep corner was met by the head of centreback Anthony Brown who rose like a salmon to plant a header across the keeper and into the corner of the net.

It was no more than the home side deserved after a dominant performance against a promising young Everton team.



PREVIEW: Trafford

City of Liverpool v Trafford NPLNW Tuesday 20th October. 19:45 KO Covid-19 Due to local lockdown


City of Liverpool fell to a late defeat at Kendal Town on a night where the


The Purps suffered defeat for the first time under new manager Michael Ellison at the hands